Sunday, August 15, 2010

Spiced Apple Cake.


Spiced Apple Cake:


170g butter, melted (plus 20g extra, melted)

1 cup pure icing sugar

3 eggs

1 cup plain flour

2 t ground cinnamon

finely grated rind of one lemon

3 apples, peeled and cored

2 T raw sugar.


Preheat oven to 190 degrees centigrade. Grease and line a 22 cm pie dish or 20cm round cake tin.


Beat butter and icing sugar till light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time. Beat well after each addition.


Add flour and cinnamon. Fold into butter mixture, with lemon rind until combined. Chop 1 apple and mix into batter till just combined.


Spoon batter onto prepared pan and smooth surface. Slice remaining apples and arrange on top. Sprinkle over raw sugar. Bake for about 40 minutes. Brush the top with melted butter. Cool in pan.



-I found that the apple on top was dry. I might not even put it on top in the future. The apple in the cake was nice. I wonder what it would be like if I used canned pie apple? I have had success with other cakes in the past, when I have placed the apple in the pan first and then poured the cake mix over it.


Of course the picture in the magazine looked delicious and it could just be me!

This is from the Australian Good Food magazine.

2 comments:

Naomi MacKenzie said...

I mostly use canned pie apple. I know it is not very gourmet but I do it because it makes the cake or muffins moist and it is often cheaper than buying fresh. Also I often make a batch of fruit muffins for school morning teas and I wouldn't have time to prepare the apples beforehand.

Cathy said...

I too am enjoying baking with apples these days.

This looks like it is meant to be baked in my future.