Friday, February 5, 2010

Panforte and Chocolate Orange Rind.


Almond Panforte
1 cup glace orange bits
2 1/2 cups slivered almonds
1/2 cup almond meal
2 T cocoa
1 1/2 t cinnamon
1t mixed spice
1/4 honey
1/3 caster sugar

Preheat oven 150 degrees. Line 20cm baking pan (I used a square).

Mix glace orange, almonds and sift almonds, cocoa and spices over it. Stir to combine.

In a pot, put honey and sugar over a low heat and stir to dissolve. Continue to cook without stirring until it forms a soft ball when a little mixture is dropped into a glass of cold water.

Pour over dry ingredients and stir to mix well. Transfer mixture to a tin. Press down and flatten surface. Bake for 25 min. Cool completely in the tin. The cake will firm up as it cools.

Recipe from "Lucky" almonds.

I had some leftover glace orange, so I melted some good quality dark chocolate, mixed in some of the orange and then spooned out little mounds. I let it set. Husband E's favourite.

Idea courtesy of a good "Mummy Escape" companion.

3 comments:

Kat @ Inspired To Action.com said...

Y.U.M.

That looks delicious!

Mrs M. said...

I notice that you often have wheatless recipes on your blog. Does someone in your family have a wheat intolerance? I am asking as my 7yo daughter is coeliac and I am always looking for new recipes.

This looks really yummy I will have to try it.

Warmly, Naomi

Hill upon Hill said...

Hi Naomi, nice to hear from you again. I have a wheat intolerance. I try and use gluten free recipes wherever I can. Perhaps I should try and add another category of gluten or wheat free on my recipe lists.....
It is great that there are a lot more recipes out there isn't it?