Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Renewal.


After staying in holiday accommodation, it is good to gain perspective and question what one actually needs.

When I walked back into our house I felt it was quite full. Today I have realised that I spend a lot of time picking up things, putting things away and organising things. How much do we actually need?

I have read in books that the clutter that makes up your home is a sign of joy and a growing family. The emptiness that comes later when all flee the nest makes one long for those days of toy cars, dolls and little lego pieces.

I also feel though, that being surrounded by too many things does not induce a busy, productive playtime.

Our toys are organised into boxes and many of them are still useful as our children grow older. Husband E is also a gifted craftsman and repairs toys beautifully. We also do not want our children to receive, destroy and throw away. Therefore, our toys grow in number, not decrease.


So what to do? Is it the restlessness of Spring in the air? The extra energy pulsing through the veins after a lovely holiday? Do I just need a big box to scoop things into at the end of the day and take an inventory once in a blue moon?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I do know what you mean about too many toys not making for a productive play time. It's kind of difficult to find a happy balance. We sometimes boxed things up for a while and would switch them out from time to time. We also gave a lot away to charity or to friends. I really think my kids play was lovelier with less stuff around. And it was certainly easier to clean! :-) Hope you find your own easy, happy way!

Susan

Cathy said...

Because of our abundance of things, extra is needed...work, discernment,wisdom and courage. I find myself so many times "thinking out loud" too that maybe, just maybe, I should get rid of 1/2 of our acquirements. But instead I pick up, put up, rearrange,and begin the whole cycle all over again several days later! My courage needs boosting.....Thanks for this blog that lets me know others too have similar thoughts.

GingerLouise Clothing said...

I give alot away, my dd had way to much, I studied Waldorf education for a while. Its really interesting. Less is more, in the 2's plus program children have a silk scarf as there main play item, with that they make capes, tents...Its a really interesting philosophy that helps children use there imagionation. On another note I am having a giveaway on my blog tomorrow and would love it if you could spread the word. Thanks!

GingerLouise Clothing said...

Thanks, let me know if you want any info on waldorf ed, it seems like something you would enjoy. Where is everyone getting these clocks?