Wednesday, October 8, 2008

MMMM......Smells like....


Smell is very important to me. A few weeks ago, the bad smell in one corner of the house caused me great angst. It has since gone.

Walking in after our holiday, I was greeted by our house's own special smell, one you can't manufacture and one everyone's home has.

On a recent Saturday outing to a sweet little town, I paid my usual visit into a shop, just to 'smell' it. It reminds me of a Dutch lady's house I used to visit as a child. I think it is a mixture of polish and moth balls.

My favourite 'scent' for our house is lavender. I even drop some essential oil onto hidden corners of the lounge pillows or carpet. I also add it to the rinse cycle when washing linen and towels.

I find plug in gadgets give me headaches and much prefer this oil/reed bottle that my mother introduced me to. The oil is siphoned into the reed and then the aroma fills the area as it evaporates. Lovely.

3 comments:

Jennifer @ Mom Spotted said...

I didn't think to add essential oils to my laundry loads! Great idea!

Cathy said...

I too have an extremely olfactory sense.I love how you record your house and family smell...that always fascinates me. I can even now remember college friends' smells. I find lavender scents also help relieve a headache.

Unknown said...

I remember being at my Grandparents and someone played a joke on my Aunt. They left a doll in a basket on the steps, with a note that said "I need a home please take care of me" or soemthing to that extent. My Aunt smelled it and figured out who it was from, lol.
A smell can take you back and trigger memories. That is a great idea about the essential oils. I find the plug in ones give me an instant headache too.