Friday, October 17, 2008

Around the Home.


My kitchen benches are finally clear. I love clean uncluttered surfaces. I also like things that are quaint and homey. To find a happy balance is my aim.
I do not like paperwork on the bench and I find it hard to cook or bake (especially with helpers) when the bench is cluttered. The paperwork does not magically disappear though. I have photographed the depths of a cupboard in the kitchen that houses these things.
This wicker suitcase houses all my household management folders; lists of presents for family, linen lists, holiday ideas, menus, garden information etc.

Better that the items below are hidden in a cupboard I think.
The upright mini shelves have a shelf designated for each child. The games on top are ones that are favourites at the moment. The blue tray carries folders with things I am working on with each child (I was once a teacher!), the white tray can be brought out as it is all the current projects I am working on such as organising birthday parties, bills etc.
There is a lower section of the cupboard that has all computer related 'stuff'.


I visited a blog called That British Woman. I enjoyed reading her "Housekeeping from A -Z" and had a go myself:


A ~Aprons--y/n If y, what does your fav. look like?

Once in while, I have a green one with embroidery and a cream one with coffee cups on it. Also a nice maroon apron that a good friend gave me for my birthday.



B ~ Baking--Favorite thing to bake?

Almond based goodies, shortbread and at the moment, weetbix slice.



C ~ Clothes line?

Yes a Hills Hoist (whirly). I love the smell of sun kissed washing.



D ~ Donuts--Have you ever made them?

Never. I worry about doughnuts: refined flour, then deep fried and then sugar on top. I do remember though that I enjoyed nice fresh doughnuts when on holiday on the South Coast as a teenager.



E ~ Everyday--One homemaking thing you do everyday?

Make the beds, wipe the bathroom and washing up.


F ~ Freezer--Do you have a separate deep freeze?

Yes, an upright in the garage. I could not do without it. It stocks bread and meat or chicken. It also stores cooked meals, cooked chicken and baking goods for lunchboxes. In the Summer it has ice blocks. There is also a back up supply of frozen vegetables and bacon.



G ~ Garbage Disposer?

No, I have a compost section in our bin.



H ~ Handbook--What is your favorite homemaking resource?

Friends, the internet, old fashioned remedies.



I ~ Ironing--Love it or Hate it? Or hate it but love the results?

I don't mind it, but don't have the time to do it. At the moment, dear husband E does it. I have said I will do it when all the children are at school!!



J ~ Junk Drawer--y/n? Where is it?

Well a junk cupboard for paperwork etc. I do have a second drawer for things like potato peelers, zesters etc. It is checked often though, so it never becomes a junk drawer.



K ~ Kitchen--color and decorating scheme.
Green tiles and wooden cupboard doors that husband E made. The door handles are brass forks, spoons, teacups and teapots. I love old jars and tins.



L ~ Love--what is your favorite part of homemaking?

Creating a haven for my family. Everything in its place, good smells, keeping on top of jobs, enjoying beauty.


M ~ Mop--y/n?

I use a static mop and then paper and vinegar.



N ~ Nylons, machine or hand wash?

I don't wear them.



O ~ Oven--do you use the window or open the oven to check?

Both.



P ~ Pizza--What do you put on yours?

Homemade base, sauce, mozarella cheese, grated zucchini and then bacon on top.



Q ~ Quiet--What do you do during the day when you get a quiet moment?


Do a project, pray,read or rest.



R ~ Recipe Card Box--y/n? What does it look like?

A big folder divided into food categories ie chicken, beef, vegetables, baking: biscuits, cakes etc. There are loose leaf papers in it and I stick recipes on to the paper.



S ~ Style of house--What style is your house?

Single level, 60 years old. 4 bedrooms plus a study, 2 bathrooms and 2 living areas.



T ~Tablecloths or Place mats?

Placemats. I look forward to using table cloths when the little ones are older and don't risk pulling the whole table cloth off.



U ~ Under the kitchen sink--organized or toxic wasteland?

Clean and relatively empty as cleaning products are up high away from little fingers.



V ~ Vacuum--How many times per week?

With wooden floorboards, I use a static mop every second day. We vacuum the hallway weekly though and bedrooms whenever I think of it.



W ~ Wash--How many loads of laundry do you do per week?

5/6 loads a week, all separated into coloured, white, darks, towels/linen, socks and underwear.



X's--Do you keep a daily list of things to do that you cross off?

I have a new system that works brilliantly: I have a generic list on the computer in black text. The day's jobs will be highlighted in blue until they are done. If it was a 'one off' job, then it is deleted, if not and the job is there every day, I will highlight it back to black again. Each night I review the day ahead, type in extra things at the correct point of the day. The day is divided as a table, based on the time of day. All aspects of the day are included , even "wake children up"....



Y ~ Yard--y/n? Who does what?

Yes. I was the main gardener when we had one child, planted the garden beds, weeded, fed plants etc. Now I am pleased that the garden looks after itself. The children and I will weed occasionally and husband E and 9 year old son love pruning. Husband E does the mowing.



ZZZ's ~ what is your last homemaking task for the day before going to bed?

Checking the children and their blankets, putting blankets and cushions straight again in the family room. Sprinkling lavender on my pillow.


I saw this at That British Woman, who saw it at Niki's Rural Writings, who saw it at Pieces from Me, who saw it at Coffee Time At Home.



Please play along on your blog!!! Let me know if you do, so I can visit.

No comments: